Rental accommodation

If you are looking for independent accommodation, you can choose to rent a room in a share house or rent your own property.

These options are similar, but there are some important differences.

Shared accommodation

In shared (or share-house) accommodation you live in an Australian home but you are more independent. You pay rent each week for your room. You also pay a share of the bills (gas, electricity and internet), buy your own food and do your own cooking.

If you rent a room in a house from another tenant, make sure you have an agreement in writing with that tenant. Don’t pay any money until you have read and signed a written agreement.

When you’re looking for shared accommodation, think about:

  • Where do you want to live? (e.g. close to school, beach or work)
  • Who do you want to live with? (e.g. other students, Australian people, international people)
  • How much do you want to pay per week?

When visiting properties, take a friend with you if you can, and tell your friends or family where you are going.

How to find shared accommodation

Try looking in these places for shared accommodation.

We can help you look for shared accommodation when you arrive in Australia. You can stay in independent accommodation or a homestay while you look.

Renting in Australia

You should only consider renting a property in Australia if you are staying for longer than 6 months. This is because you will need to sign a lease for 6 or 12 months.

Rental properties are usually unfurnished. You will need to connect the gas, electricity, internet and telephone – there are connection fees to do this.

How to find a rental

The best places to find a rental property are

Real estate agents advertise on these websites.

Applying for a rental

When you apply for a rental property you will usually need to give some information to the real estate agent or landlord. This may include:

  • pay slips/evidence of income
  • identification (passport or driver licence)
  • references.

If your application for a rental property is approved, you will need to pay bond (a deposit) and rent when you move in. You will pay all service bills (gas, electricity and internet) and will be responsible for any damage to the property.

Your rights and obligations

If you rent a property or a room, you are a tenant and you have rights and obligations. This is why it is important to complete the correct paperwork (e.g. sign a lease or written agreement).

There are different rules in each state. You can view them below: